Revlonissimo Color Sublime™ Professional Ingredient Glossary
At Revlon Professional® we want hairdressers to elevate their color services to a cleaner salon experience by offering clean, vegan hair color formulas that are inspired by nature.
In the current world, hairdressers and clients have grown more informed about the ingredients in their products and demand greater transparency from beauty brands while maintaining 100% professional performance.
As a result, the beauty industry has been evolving in different directions to address current demands. Terms such as “green”, “natural”, “clean”, “vegan” and “organic” are being used more commonly. However, the picture is still unclear around the exact meaning of each one.
We have the insight into the differences between these terms and we’re here to support you by strengthening your skills and knowledge with our technical ingredient glossary.
Enjoy the benefits of this comprehensive collection of background information on Revlonissimo Color SublimeTM, specially created to enhance expertise in the area of ingredients, technical details and performance benefits.
HOW DO WE DEFINE AND CLASSIFY OUR INGREDIENTS?
NATURAL. We define an ingredient as natural* if it is obtained from nature (such as plants, fungi, and algae) and does not undergo any modifications while being transformed into a cosmetic ingredient. Water, for instance, is a natural ingredient.
NATURALLY DERIVED. We define an ingredient as naturally derived* if it occurs in nature and has undergone limited chemical or other types of processing to modify it from its natural state. For instance, cetyl alcohol is derived from coconut trees and is used in our formulas to provide them with their ultra-gliding texture.
SCIENCE-Y. Science isn’t always scary. Revlonissimo Color Sublime™ contains some technical ingredients that may be hard to pronounce but that allow our permanent hair color formulas to be effective at delivering sublime color & care results.
WHY ISN’T THE FORMULA 100% NATURAL OR NATURALLY DERIVED?
We selectively add a small percentage of synthetic ingredients to our products in order to improve their performance and experience.
Synthetic ingredients are essential to ensure stability in texture, performance and fragrance. Performance-based ingredients such as oxidative hair color dyes and hydrogen peroxide are a good example.
Finally, we chose to formulate with synthetic fragrances, which make up less than 1% of our formulas, because natural fragrances can be high in allergens and irritants.
ARE THESE FORMULAS CRUELTY FREE?
Revlon Corporation has not tested on animals since 1989 and believes that animal testing is not necessary to establish the safety of our products or ingredients. Today, there are alternative non-animal scientific methods that can be used to validate product safety. Revlon supports research to validate these alternative testing methods and organizations like the Institute for In Vitro Sciences (IIVS) which broadly promotes their global use.
WHAT MAKES NEW REVLONISSIMO COLOR SUBLIME™ FORMULAS UNIQUE?
- COCONUT NUCIFERA SEED (COCONUT) OIL is a rapidly absorbed ingredient, delivering deep hydration and conditioning to skin, scalp and hair. Due to its lasting care effects, we have included this cold-press oil as part of our Dual Action Vegan Color System.
- CYPERUS ESCULENTUS ROOT (TIGERNUT) OIL has a high content of vitamin E and moisturizing properties. Obtained by cold-pressing, it is part of our Dual Action Vegan Color System.
- HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) OIL is light in texture, cold-press, and contains a high percentage of fatty acids and vitamin E with antioxidant properties. Included in our Dual Action Vegan Color System, sunflower oil envelops the hair’s strands to maximize color delivery into the hair cortex for excellent color results while helping to protect hair against breakage.
- MACADAMIA TERNIFOLIA SEED OIL is exceptionally light, which makes it perfect for all types of textures from the finest to the thickest hair. Our macadamia oil is extracted by cold-pressing and provides a lightweight nourishing touch to our Dual Action Vegan Color System.
- SWEET ALMOND OIL is obtained by cold-pressing the seeds of the almond tree. Almonds have been valued in many ancient cultures for their healing and health properties, including high levels of protein, omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E.
- WATER is used in Color Sublime formulas to dissolve many powdery ingredients, such as the dyes.
- ANTIOXIDANTS, such as Erythorbic Acid and Sodium Sulfite, protect oxidation dyes so they can act before penetrating the hair’s shaft. Erythorbic Acid, which is a stereoisomer of vitamin C, helps to preserve our beautiful color inside the tube.
- FILM-FORMERS, such as Quaternium-91, are also known as hair conditioners. This high-tech sounding ingredient is included in our color formula to seal the hair cuticle for easy combing and soft-to-touch results.
- TEXTURING AGENTS include surfactants, thickeners, and emulsifiers. These ingredients are used in order to obtain an ultra-gliding crème-gel texture, which efficiently delivers the ingredients into the hair without dripping. Find them on Revlonissimo Color Sublime™ labels under names such as LAURETH-4, ISOSTEARIC ACID, AMMONIUM LAURYL SULFATE, SODIUM CETEARYL SULFATE, GLYCERYL STEARATE, STEARYL ALCOHOL and CETEARYL ALCOHOL.
- ACRYLATES/STEARETH-20 are specifically added to developer formulas by chemists to help preserve their creamy texture over time.
- ETHANOLAMINE is the most common alternative to ammonia, since it is practically odorless. However, it functions in the same way. It helps open the hair cuticle prior to coloring so that the pigments can enter the inner part of the hair.
- FRAGRANCE. Added by chemists to enhance the experience, synthetic fragrances make up less than 1% of our formulas. We choose to use synthetic fragrances because natural fragrances are not always the best option: for example, natural fragrances can be high in allergens and irritants.
- HYDROGEN PEROXIDE. Used in developer formulas as an oxidizing agent, this ingredient has a dual-purpose in the coloring process. On the one hand, it activates the hair dye to form the new color shade, and, on the other, it helps to remove the natural pigment of your hair, allowing the new color to easily replace it.
- OXIDATIVE HAIR DYES. The foundation of hair color formulas, these ingredients enter the hair where they react with other compounds to form the desired shade. Moreover, the more dyes a formula contains, the more resistant to fading the color becomes. We formulate Revlonissimo Color Sublime™ with up to 10 hair dyes to ensure long-lasting color.
To identify them in our products, look at the ingredients list on the packaging. They can be found under names such as 1-Naphthol, 2,5-Diaminotoluene Sulfate, p- or m-Aminophenol, Resorcinol and 2-Methylresorcinol, p-Phenylenediamine, 4-Amino-2-Hydroxytoluene, 4-Chlororesorcinol, 2-Amino-4-Hydroxyethylaminoanisole sulfate, 2-Amino-3-Hydroxypyridine, 2,4-Diaminophenoxyethanol HCl, 1-Hydroxyethyl 4,5-Diamino Pyrazole Sulfate, 2,6-Dihydroxyethylaminotoluene, Basic Yellow 87, N,N-Bis(2-Hydroxyethyl)-p-Phenylenediamine Sulfate, 2-Amino-6-Chloro-4-Nitrophenol and Phenyl Methyl Pyrazolone.
- PEG-40 CASTOR (Ricinus communis) OIL. This oil may look as if it comes from an animal, but it is actually extracted from the seed of the Ricinus Communis plant. This texturizing emulsifying agent enables organic and vegan oils to create an emulsion.
- POLYQUATERNIUM-6. This high-tech sounding word for conditioner is responsible for minimizing flyaways and improving manageability.
- PROPYLENE GLYCOL is used as a non-aggressive solvent. Not all powders can be dissolved in water, therefore, a small amount of propylene glycol is added by chemists to ensure that all the ingredients blend to form a solution.
- SODIUM STANNATE & PHOSPORIC ACID & SODIUM BENZOATE play a key role in our developer formulas by preserving and securing hydrogen peroxide at its acidic pH to guarantee excellent product performance.
- TETRASODIUM EDTA & PENTASODIUM PENTETATE; our selected chelating agents. Their function is to protect the product from particles that may affect color performance.
WHAT DOES COLD-PRESSED REALLY MEAN?
Cold-pressing is a procedure to obtain naturally derived ingredients while minimizing environmental impact through the omission of thermal and chemical treatments as well as refining processes.
Moreover, these oils come from organic farming1, which means that our natural ingredients are responsibly sourced.
*European Regulation – ISO 16128
*Coconut and Sunflower oil.